• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations in Virginia? **IAL Please read**

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tater_tot

IAAL Please Read....Please

My husband had (2) vehicles with his ex-wife. Both vehicles were jointly in both of their names. They bought her car in 6/98 then separated 7/5/98 and the courts granted his ex-wife exclusive possession of the car. On 7/30/98 the courts ordered that my husband be responsible for his truck (which he has and we will have it paid for 2/02), and personal expenses and that his ex-wife be responsible for her car and personal expenses. Then in 09/98 the company that had the contract on the car charged off the debt and repossessed the car. In 12/98 the company sold the car, but didn't get all of their money. My first question is after all these years and with the court order can my husband still be held responsible for any of the debt? Because last week we were contacted by the collection agency that purchased the debt and were told that they wanted $2,500.00 from each my husband and his ex-wife to settle this, then now his ex-wife is planning on filing chp. 13 bankruptcy after filing chp. 7 in 1996. Then the guy called us today to say that if she files bankruptcy then the whole amount $10,216.75 defaults over to my husband, but that he will settle for $5,000.00. Somebody please advise me on our rights and the company with the debt. Also, is there a statue of limitations as to the time they have to seek payment for this debt? Thanks in advance.

We live in the state of Virginia.

[Edited by tater_tot on 05-28-2001 at 12:38 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">