• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still unclear about SOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

texcess

Ive written before and your reply did answer some questions but not all. My biggest question is :

1)If I am in Tx (with a 4 yr SOL) and my credit card or collection agency is in another state that has a SOL of say 10 years, will that change the SOL of the debt?

2)Since my debt is constantly being resold and listed as a new debt, regardless if it is past the SOL, can each new collection agency keep reporting this on my credit forever?

3) Lastly does the SOL start from my last purchase on these credit cards, the last time I was current on payment or the last pmt I made(I did get behind and try to make partial pmts for as a good will gesture but they kept showing me past due).

Ladynred

I'll try and answer your questions:

1) The SOL limitations applies to the state where YOU live or where you were when the debt was incurred. Where the collector is has no bearing on the SOL.

2) Yes, they can keep reporting this debt to the credit bureaus, they can keep trying to collect on it but the longer it goes, the less likely they are to pursue it.

3) The SOL starts from the last activity on the account, so whenever it was that you last made a payment would be the date to use.

T

texcess

Thank you for your reply. I got copies of my credit report from two different agencies and both had different information. I was able to start tracing some of the old debt to the companies that bought it and are reporting it. They are showing last activity up to a year later then then the original creditor showed.
I was under the impression that after 7 years my bad credit would be taken off my credit report? If they they keep seeling my old account even after the SOL runs out..then is there anyway to have it taken off my report?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">