• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen money order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Baybeh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.
I had a money order stolen from my (outgoing curbside) mailbox. The money order was completely filled out(to a court office for payment of probation fee). The man who stole it added his name next to mine on the"purchaser" line, and wrote his name above the court office on the"pay to the order of" line. A local check cashing place then cashed this with only his endorsement, despite the fact that this money order is obviously altered (in my opinion) and I Filed a police report as well as a now being a 'two party check' which I was of the belief required both ppl to sign.
I had to pay to trace the money order, as well as now being"delinquent" in my probation fees. I went to the check cashing place and asked them to reimburse me for the amount of the MO and the fees to trace it, because they are not supposed to cash an altered money order. As far as I'm concerned they have effectively assisted this man in his theft. Every other financial institution I have showed the photocopy of the MO to says they would not have cashed it.
Is the check cashing place responsible for reimbursement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">