• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student credit card intrest carged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andy@smith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, I had applied for a discover credit card 11/2015, where there was a scheme in which you are not charged interest for the 1st year but have to pay minimum balance payment every month.
I have made all the payments every month but i realized after an year i have been paying interest all this months.

The agent during registration, on the phone had mentioned it was going to be issued on the same scheme of 0%. But now the customer service is telling there is no proof it was issued under this scheme. They mentioned i have agreed upon the terms and condition to pay the interest. But When i requested the documents which stated i agreed to pay interest from my first month they are not able to show.

All my friends were issued the card under the 0% scheme and the guy who referred me also was issued under the same scheme.

So i am requesting to anyone help how can i communicate with the customer service, to remove the interest charged till now. pleas kindly oblige and advice for this problem.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should have realized that you were paying interest after the first month. The fact that there is no proof that you requested or were issued an account with a 0% interest rate period, combined with the fact that you have paid interest for a year now, speaks volumes to you accepting the terms.

adjusterjack

They mentioned i have agreed upon the terms and condition to pay the interest. But When i requested the documents which stated i agreed to pay interest from my first month they are not able to show.
Seriously?

When you first received the card it came with a cardholder's agreement that explained how the interest would be applied to balances.

The cardholder's agreement also says that, by using the card, you agree to all the terms.

Did you not read the agreement? Did you just throw it way?

Each time you received a statement it contained an Account Summary which listed the following items:

Previous Balance
Payments and Credits
Purchases
Balance Transfers
Cash Advances
Fees Charged
Interest Charged
New Balance

And right under all that it says:

See Interest Charge Calculation section following the Transactions section for detailed APR information.

Note: I copied all that from my own Discover Card statement.

How'd you manage to miss all that for a year?

Discover doesn't have to prove anything to you.

If you don't want to be charged interest anymore, then pay off your balance and then pay each ensuing month's balance in full.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seriously?

When you first received the card it came with a cardholder's agreement that explained how the interest would be applied to balances.

The cardholder's agreement also says that, by using the card, you agree to all the terms.

Did you not read the agreement? Did you just throw it way?
To be fair...99.9% of the folks out there don't read the agreements because they are so long, tedious, and printed in a font that takes a powerful magnifying glass to read. Of course, that doesn't make it any less binding.

(I agree with the rest of what you said.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">