• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summon Complaint NJ Superior Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satiated55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY

I am a resident of NJ. Just received a complaint summon via regular mail from NJ superior court for a citibank card that went deliquent (4800). I cant afford to pay nor afford a lawyer. The summon says to file in writing my answer to the complaint by the plaintiff's lawyer within 35 days. My Credit report shows last activity in feb 2002 and last payment made in april 2006.? Does statute of limitation law applies in this case? Also, back in 2006 I disputed this transactions via credit repair company and it was deleted from my credit report, which I have confirmation on. How can I defend based on these scenarios? PLease advise.

Thanks

dolebot

I believe that the statute of limitations clock starts from the action which caused the default. i.e. the first time the account went late. Looks like 2006.

I disputed this transactions via credit repair company and it was deleted from my credit report, which I have confirmation on. How can I defend based on these scenarios? PLease advise.
Credit repair companies are quasi-legal. They may have managed to have it deleted using nefarious means. That it was deleted from your credit report doesn't erase the debt. You still owe the money. This is why they are not allowed to charge money before rendering services. I really hope you didn't pay much for it, look where it got you. Not to mention you could have done the same thing (most likely) for free.

FTC Sues “Credit Repair” Companies

You can try to negotiate a settlement through the attorneys on the other side at any time. They don't have to take it, and they don't have to accept anything but payment in full, plus their actual costs. I suggest paying your bill in full. If you can't, perhaps they can agree on a payment plan. They don't have to agree to that either.

Is the debt yours? Did you really make the last payment in April 2006? Was the last charge made in 2002? It's pretty much too late to dispute this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">