• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StormShadow

What is the name of your state? Az

If I Answer to the Summons, would I still be charged court/attny fees etc. on top of what I already owe? Or does this happen if it goes to a hearing only. Discover is suing for 4095.00, I am not denying any part of the debt, all I want is to pay this off without my employer finding out about it. If Discover wins, do they automatically garnish your wages, or can a payment plan still be arranged? If I send them a settlement plan right now, would it still go to court? One more thing, do they give you a chance to settle before it goes to trial?

Thank You

Ladynred

You'll still wind up with atty/court costs - an atty had to prepare the lawsuit and then pay the court filing fees before you were served.

Here's a list of what is exempt in AZ:
http://www.thebankruptcysite.com/exemptions/arizona.htm

Anything NOT on that list is vulnerable to lien/siezure.

There's no way to tell if they will go for garnishment right off the bat. They may try for non-exempt assets first, like your bank account. Failing that, garnishment of 25% of you net wage is likely.

Yes, you can settle out of court, so write up a settlement offer ASAP. If you can't make a lump sum payment, try for set payments that you can afford to make. If they agree, and you falter, they'll go for the execution of the judgment with a vegeance.

If you go to court, you may very well be offered a settlement, yes.

Go to www.creditinfocenter.com and read up on settlements and the kinds of things you want to put in your offer.

S

StormShadow

Thanks for your advice. I will follow it and see what happens next.

What a headache.....

Ladynred

Yep. Discover is quite nasty and will sue for almost any amount, no matter how small. I'm SO glad I never fell for their 'get money back' BS, never got one of their cards !

Good Luck!

Tb0040

Discover is one of the accounts I am dealing with. Did they use a third party-Ca to collect the debt. Did they accept your offer or make arrangements with you? Will a judgement go on your credit report?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">