• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons for collection of medical bill debt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdstl1977

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I received a letter from a law office hired by a collection agency supposedly assigned by my hospital asking me to repay the debt in full unless I disputed the debt, which I don't. It's my ability to repay in full that I dispute.

I could never afford to pay the outrageous amounts previous collection agencies proposed and eventually I employed the aid of a debt management group based in Tampa, FL called Genesis Financial Management to send proposals to the collection agencies and to disburse payment to them.

Back to the letter, they said I had thirty days to respond but less than two weeks later my brother told me someone dropped off a summons requiring my appearance in roughly two weeks.

The current assigned collector is not the same as the one listed with GFM, yet if the previous collector is still accepting payments on the hospital's behalf does this current collector and their attorneys have a case against me?

PLEASE HELP!

J

jdstl1977

Also, I sent the attorneys a letter stating GFM was in the process of negotiating with the previous collection agency.

Should I call the attorneys? And if I do, what do I say?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ladynred

You probably should call them and make sure they know that the debt IS being paid thru another collection agency. Then find out why this new one is suing you when you're already paying the hospital thru the first one !

You'll have to answer the summons all the same and probably appear in court too if the 2nd ca/lawyer won't co-operate. Just take whatever proof you have of the payments with you to court. They can't slam you twice for the same debt !

J

jdstl1977

Thanks.

I appreciate your reply, Lady...I called GFM today and the payments were disbursed but they haven't been posted by the former CA, yet. All I can do is bring my paperwork and show that I haven't been a TOTAL deadbeat.

Wish me luck.

Thanks again for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">