• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons from debt collector of improper debt amount.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Exoticcat

What is the name of your state? New York

I received a summons in the mail from a debt collector seeking to collect approximately $7,500 from credit card charges made on my Citibank Mastercard account in 2000-2001. In August of 2000 I filed Chapter 7, and Citibank sent my attorney and myself a letter stating that I owe money for making charges after the bankruptcy filing date, amounting to approximately $4,500. We asked for evidence of when the charges were made, because I could not remember making charges amounting to $4,500 after the filing date. It is possible that I made some charges after the filing date because my attorney failed to inform me properly of what I was allowed and not allowed to do after the filing date. Citibank could not expect that I would pay them whatever they say in just a letter. Citibank never replied with any evidence, so I never complied with payment. Now, their attorney/debt collector sent me copies of credit card statements showing charges amounting to $7,500 between 9/2000 - 6/2001. I have no other recollection of the account other than the hard copy of the letter they sent myself and my attorney. Also note that the letter that Citibank sent us in May of 2001 never stated that the $4,500 amount was a reduced amount from charges amounting to $7,500. I don't know how to respond to this summons, and an attorney wants to charge me $2,500 as a retainer, but for that amount I might as well pay down the debt if there is such a debt. Someone please help, I am in no financial position to pay this debt or pay an attorney to defend me, is there a way to defend myself or answer this summons appropriately? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">