• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons Response (Chapter 802 Wisconsin)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samdori

Hi, I have received a court summons and I have 20 days to respond. The plaintiff is a debt collector trying to collect on a debt of $11,000. However the account is not mine. It is a case of mistaken identlty. Somehow the credit card company attached my address to an account of someone else with the same same. Now there are many debt collectors sending notices to my mailbox regarding accounts that are not mine. I have cleared things up with many of the debt collection agencies but never got around to contacting this one...

I am no attorney, but I am hoping to draft a response on my own and get the case dropped without hiring one. There are many ways I could prove the account is not mine such as providing a SSN and DOB or maybe a copy of my credit report. Is it reasonable for me to believe I can get this case dropped on my own and if so, what should I include in the written response? A sample that I could use to format it would be very helpful. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">