• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teller at Bank Possible Harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

venter25

I live in the state of Pennsylvania.

Today at my local bank branch I was there to withdraw some cash. The amount was $4000.00. The teller asked my what I was doing with it. I was uncomfortable with the question. She continued to ask me if "I am doing anything fun with it???" Again I was very uncomfortable. She then said she had to get authorization, because of the amount being withdrawn. The head teller comes over, and immediately asks what I am doing with the money... I just stood there in silence. She then said I was attempting to withdraw from an account with insufficient funds. I said okay, well there is a account with over $40,000 in it I would like to take it from. She then asked again what I was doing with the cash. I said in my head "WTF!" She asked, "anything fun???" At this point, I knew they were fishing for information. I just said, "no. not really." At this point I was extremely uncomfortable.

Now here is where I have my beef. The head teller in front of the whole bank announces, which I believe was in frustration to me not answering her questions, "did you just recently retire, or something? I've never seen this much money come from social security!" I just shook my head in disbelief, collected my money from the teller I originally spoke with, and left the bank.

My question is did the head teller violate any privacy laws when she announced, and insinuated I retired, and announced the source of the cash I was withdrawing?

Any advice, and help is greatly appreciated.

xylene

You made a large, out of pattern cash withdrawal.

State and federal laws and regulations, mainly having to do with preventing financial crimes and money laundering, require them to ask about large, out of pattern transactions, especially involving cash.

You certainly increased their interest and suspicion by attempting the withdrawal from the incorrect account.

In the future, when making a sizeable cash withdrawal be prepared with a simple truthful answer or have the gumption to politely say "This is no concern of the bank's, please process my withdrawal, thank you."

venter25

Thank you for your reply... It still doesn't answer my question.

Were privacy laws violated by the head teller when she announced, and insinuated I retired, and announced the source of the cash I was withdrawing? She could of put me in grave danger. My suspicion radar was triggered by them asking me what I was doing with the cash. Maybe if they explained under certain regulations they are required to ask those questions, I would of cooperated. It seemed very awkward, and made me very uncomfortable the way they were acting.

Thanks again...

AdjunctFL

I think you should be glad the bank asked. I've read of cases where the teller's question prevented a scam, particularly the money being sent in the "get your grandson out of jail" scam. I hope they continue to ask. Of course, you're free not to answer.

venter25

I am not insulted that they asked. I was not comfortable disclosing to someone that I do not know, where it was going. I am concerned they announced that I was withdrawing a large amount of cash, and the source that it came from. It was very loud, and obviously in retaliation to me not wanting to disclose where that cash was going.

They put myself in danger, and could of put the organization in danger that the cash was going to, if I chose to disclose it.

Thanks again.

quincy

I am not insulted that they asked. I was not comfortable disclosing to someone that I do not know, where it was going. I am concerned they announced that I was withdrawing a large amount of cash, and the source that it came from. It was very loud, and obviously in retaliation to me not wanting to disclose where that cash was going.

They put myself in danger, and could of put the organization in danger that the cash was going to, if I chose to disclose it.

Thanks again.
They could have spoken in quieter voices.

I agree with AdjunctFL, however, that banks should continue to ask about large withdrawals of cash.

xylene

Thank you for your reply... It still doesn't answer my question.

Were privacy laws violated by the head teller when she announced, and insinuated I retired, and announced the source of the cash I was withdrawing? She could of put me in grave danger. My suspicion radar was triggered by them asking me what I was doing with the cash. Maybe if they explained under certain regulations they are required to ask those questions, I would of cooperated. It seemed very awkward, and made me very uncomfortable the way they were acting.

Thanks again...
I answered your question. There are no 'privacy laws' of the sort you imagine and they asked because anti-money laundering regulations require them to inquire about large out of pattern cash withdrawals.

They are not required to explain the regs to you or the reasons that prompted their inquiry. If they told you, it would be easier to thwart them.

I agree that the indelicacy was bad customer service - that's not a legal question. If you dislike the customer service you experience at a financial institution, move your money to another one. There are many banks.

venter25

Thank you.

If you do not like volunteering your time to answer questions here, there are many other forums you can participate. They would be more than happy for you to bump.

:D

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Thanks again.
This sounds unnecessarily vague and mysterious.

When people show up at the bank seeming vague and mysterious, and withdrawing large sums of cash, for security reasons there will be a response.

You could have withdrawn the $ in the form of a cashier's check for the organization. Any reason for the cloak and dagger behavior o n your part?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Could the situation have been handled better? Yes, it could.

Were any laws violated? No, there were not.

Do you have any recourse? You can move your funds to another bank. There is no recourse through the courts, or through law enforcement, that you can make.

venter25

Could the situation have been handled better? Yes, it could.

Were any laws violated? No, there were not.

Do you have any recourse? You can move your funds to another bank. There is no recourse through the courts, or through law enforcement, that you can make.
Thank you...:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">