• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way to prosecute identity theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

u0088782

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex's mother repeatedly stolen my credit card or banking info for purchases over the past few months. It's hasn't been a lot of money, just over $1000, but it's been a major emotional and time drain. And it keeps happening as she discovers new ways to steal from me. I fear she may have my social security number which would mean she could be opening accounts in my name as I type this. The credit card companies don't seem to care to pursue and neither do the police. What is my recourse here to create some sort of deterrent to make her stop? Can I file a restraining order (she has also made threatening remarks) and have her arrested if she continues to access my personal info? Can I take some civil action against her to pay damages for all the emotional stress and time wasted?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex's mother repeatedly stolen my credit card or banking info for purchases over the past few months. It's hasn't been a lot of money, just over $1000, but it's been a major emotional and time drain. And it keeps happening as she discovers new ways to steal from me. I fear she may have my social security number which would mean she could be opening accounts in my name as I type this. The credit card companies don't seem to care to pursue and neither do the police. What is my recourse here to create some sort of deterrent to make her stop? Can I file a restraining order (she has also made threatening remarks) and have her arrested if she continues to access my personal info? Can I take some civil action against her to pay damages for all the emotional stress and time wasted?
Report the identity theft to the police. Contact each of the three major credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax) and post an "identity theft" warning on each (no accounts will be opened without your express authorization). Cancel all current accounts and reopen new ones with different account numbers.

If your mother-in-law can be directly linked to the accounts, you can sue her for any damages you have suffered (any unauthorized charges to the accounts where you have been billed).

u0088782

If your mother-in-law can be directly linked to the accounts, you can sue her for any damages you have suffered (any unauthorized charges to the accounts where you have been billed).
I'm not responsible for any of the charges. The issue is the emotional stress and massive time sink this has become. I haven't been able to work for 2 days since this started happening and this is just the tip of the iceberg...

quincy

... The issue is the emotional stress and massive time sink this has become. I haven't been able to work for 2 days since this started happening and this is just the tip of the iceberg...
For those issues, you will need to seek out help from a medical professional. We cannot help you with emotional stress. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">