• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They want the money I earned because they are chap 11!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

8pixel

I am a freelance designer and worked for a company two years ago on an hourly basis for close to 8 months. During that time, I was paid once to twice a month when I turned in an invoice. My last invoice was not paid to me however until close to 6 months later. I received a call and fax a month and a half ago from a collection agency that stated that the company had filed for bankruptcy within 90 days of them paying my last invoice. Because of this, they are now telling me that I have to pay back the money I was paid to be "pooled and redistributed," but the chances of me ever seeing that money again is zero. I know that is is legal under the bankruptcy law from what I hear, but is there any way to protect myself? How can they expect me to have the money laying around almost two years later? This is extremely unfair and could possibly put me in a horrible financial situation. I heard from a few people (friends who know lawyers) that I should just ignore the collection agency and wait until they file suit and send a court order for me to pay the money. The chance of them doing so is 50/50 I hear. How can I keep the money that I worked hard to earn and subsequently worked hard to get paid after 6 long months?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

I am in NJ and the company office was in NYC with offices around the world I think.

nailtech

Just my opinion:but, I wouldnt pay a dime until a Judge told me to...... but start socking the money away just in case they do...

boy is this going to throw your taxes for a loop...

I'm bumping your question back to the top...

8pixel

Thanks

That's basically the advice I'm getting all around so far, but would love to hear anything else any professionals might have to say.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">