• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Third party check...who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

makemeincubus

I live in California, and I received a financial aid check about two months ago. I signed this check over to my roommate, whose mother I owed money to. He told me that the bank put the check into his account and then took the check out immediately thereafter. He did not call the bank for a month or so until I finally told him to call them and see what was going on. I never recieved any of this money from the check, because he said his bank sent it back to him, but it got lost in the mail. Am I responsible for paying his mother the money AGAIN, even though I gave him this check that was "never cashed", or was it his responsibility since I signed it over to him and he neglected to contact the bank?

JETX

makemeincubus said:
I live in California, and I received a financial aid check about two months ago. I signed this check over to my roommate, whose mother I owed money to. He told me that the bank put the check into his account and then took the check out immediately thereafter. He did not call the bank for a month or so until I finally told him to call them and see what was going on. I never recieved any of this money from the check, because he said his bank sent it back to him, but it got lost in the mail. Am I responsible for paying his mother the money AGAIN, even though I gave him this check that was "never cashed", or was it his responsibility since I signed it over to him and he neglected to contact the bank?
Was the check EVER honored by a bank???
If not, then 'payment' was never made and the debt would still be owed.

Veronica1228

I agree with Jetx. Contact the issuer of the check and find out if it cleared. If it has not cleared, explain that the check is lost. They will place a stop payment for this check and reissue it to you.

Be prepared for them to deduct the stop payment fee from your new check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">