• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfering large amounts of money into the US - What is required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justmejustme

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find one that suited better, mods feel free to move it to a more suitable one if you wish.

If I were to transfer large amounts of money into the US, by large I mean a couple of million dollars, what would the bank require? I was thinking of first starting an account in central America then transfering it into a North American account. Would the bank require solid 'evidence' of the source of the money?

If it would make things easier, I could transfer the money in 'installments' over a 5-6 years.

What sort of evidence would they require? Would proof of sale of properties/bonds/shares be sufficient or would they require records further back than that?

Advice is greatly appreciated :)

// One more general question about US laws, I know there is client-lawyer priviliges and I was wandering how far these go? Could a client tell the lawyer about a crime they were going to comitt and the lawyer would still not be allowed to do anything? Where is the limit? I'm guessing it's for extreme circumstances like terrorism? - Just a general thing I was wondering about US laws. :eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find one that suited better, mods feel free to move it to a more suitable one if you wish.

If I were to transfer large amounts of money into the US, by large I mean a couple of million dollars, what would the bank require? I was thinking of first starting an account in central America then transfering it into a North American account. Would the bank require solid 'evidence' of the source of the money?

If it would make things easier, I could transfer the money in 'installments' over a 5-6 years.

What sort of evidence would they require? Would proof of sale of properties/bonds/shares be sufficient or would they require records further back than that?

Advice is greatly appreciated :)

// One more general question about US laws, I know there is client-lawyer priviliges and I was wandering how far these go? Could a client tell the lawyer about a crime they were going to comitt and the lawyer would still not be allowed to do anything? Where is the limit? I'm guessing it's for extreme circumstances like terrorism? - Just a general thing I was wondering about US laws. :eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
So you want help hiding money, or the source of funds?

justalayman

an attorney is guilty of a crime if he knows of the crime prior to the crime and remains silent. That makes him an accessory. Do you think the attorney is willing to go to jail for your crime?

from another website:
The attorney-client privilege encourages clients to disclose to their attorneys all pertinent information in legal matters by protecting such disclosures from discovery at trial. The privileged information, held strictly between the attorney and the client, may remain private as long as a court does not force disclosure. The privilege does not apply to communications between an attorney and a client that are made in furtherance of a Fraud or other crime. The responsibility for designating which information should remain confidential rests with the client. In its most common use, however, the attorney claims the privilege on behalf of the client in refusing to disclose to the court, or to any other party, requested information about the client's case.

justmejustme

So you want help hiding money, or the source of funds?
Well, no, I want to know what the US banks/government have for requirements or required proof of taking in large amounts of money. The money would originally be from Europe.

an attorney is guilty of a crime if he knows of the crime prior to the crime and remains silent. That makes him an accessory. Do you think the attorney is willing to go to jail for your crime?

from another website:
Thanks, that helped me understand :)

justmejustme

One has to ...wonder...that a person that is planing to..."deposit"..."a couple of million dollars", is posting on a free site.:rolleyes:

Hire an attorney in advise you. ;)
I just asked a simple question, what are the requirements? I thought attorney's had to disclose any information to the government even if they were just slightly suspicious illegal activity was taking place? Not that it is..

US banks are very cautious about accepting drug money that is being laundered by an amateur.
That's what I'm asking, what are the requirements to 'prove' that it's not drug money? Documentation of sold stocks and properties, would that be sufficient?

Someone please answer the question :p

cyjeff

I just asked a simple question, what are the requirements? I thought attorney's had to disclose any information to the government even if they were just slightly suspicious illegal activity was taking place? Not that it is..

That's what I'm asking, what are the requirements to 'prove' that it's not drug money? Documentation of sold stocks and properties, would that be sufficient?

Someone please answer the question :p
If this was legal money, why were you routing it through central America? I seem to remember a rather strong banking industry in Europe.

justmejustme

If this was legal money, why were you routing it through central America? I seem to remember a rather strong banking industry in Europe.
Switzerland, yes, I dont know, I thought it might be easier going through Central America? But what would they ask? If I just present documentations such as "This is a paper that shows X amount was gained through the selling of this property. This is a paper that shows X amount was gained selling these bonds". Would that be enough or would they want to go back further than that?

Just Blue

Okay. Stop.

Go and consult a local druggie attorney to assist you.

We are not here to assist Federal Felons.

Go away now.:rolleyes:

cyjeff

Okay. Stop.

Agreed.

I will say that when I mentioned banking, the only one that came to mind to the OP were the notoriously anonymous Swiss. Not the local bank on the corner, but the one used to hide money for centuries.

Hmmmm.

justmejustme

Okay. Stop.

-Sigh-

So much for free legal advice, I never metioned anything about drugs..

I just wanted to know what legal documentation/records the banks ask for when transfering large amounts of money, which is perfectly legal.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
-Sigh-

So much for free legal advice, I never metioned anything about drugs..

I just wanted to know what legal documentation/records the banks ask for when transfering large amounts of money, which is perfectly legal.
So, call the bank you are interested in using and ask them. Not that difficult. :cool:

KingFahad

I'm talking G5 Baby....

If you have to ask about your problem, this "situation" about millions and are truly sincere-then you are either a very dim bulb, or one who employs a very vivid imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">