• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to settle an old judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freshstart33

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am in the process of buying my first home. On my credit report there is an old judgment from an apartment complex where I used to live. This judgment must be satisfied before I can close on the home. I have contacted the court where the judgment was filed and got a payoff amount. I have also contacted the complex to make payment and get a release. The payoff amount from the court is $1019.26, the complex on the other hand in trying to teach other tenants a "lesson" will not release the judgment unless I pay them $2489.79. The original judgment amount from the court is for 1 months rent, court costs and interest being that the case is almost 7 yrs old. The complex has tacked on re-letting fees, "damages" to the apartment, and god knows what else the thought they were liable for. I have tried to settle the judgment by contacting the lawyer who filed the case but, the complex manager advised me that the complex has filed on behalf of thier lawyer. Can this be done or is this BS? I know that I am going to have to get a lawyer involved so what type of lawyer would handle a case like this? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

yes it can. I find it hard to believe you can't get a loan based on this. Try talking to your banker. Maybe if you apply the monies you were going to give the apartment to your down payment, the bank would approve the loan. If the bank doesn't want to work with you, go somewhere else. Loan institutions are in heavy competition for your business now....be tough

bigun

Underwriting standards are pretty uniform. To get any sort of conventional loan, you'll need to satisfy all open collections and judgments.
I'd sugest trying harder to negoiate.

F

freshstart33

The negotiations have hit a brickwall, the complex is not going to release the judgment unless they get the whole amount judgment plus collections. I have even gotten my mortgage company involved in this with the same results. A lawyer is going to have to get involved so which type would handle this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">