• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition & collection with wage garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bijou-MP5

What is the name of your state? IL

I'm have owned about 3k to my previous university. tuition was for 2001 one semester. now tuition collection agency is calling me saying that i have to pay 500 deposit by today noon which I can't afford. Otherwise they will be filing wage garnishment.
in fact, I do have job but it's not official. I'm just helping my mom's friend and she pays me in cash about 300 month. they also told me they will do 25% wage garnishment. isn't il wage garnishment can be up tp 15%? If I have to go to court, and i have no job since it's was just helping sort of job, can they force me to pay these debts?
since it wasn't loan. I can't even do student loan consildation program. I would like to pay off these debts but they don't give me time to pay them off.
And I also like to go back to different university I used to attend, and will these be affecting borrowing loan from school?
What should I do? I told them I will pay 500 next month when I saves up the money. They don't want to have any negotiation with me.
:(

Ladynred

This loan was NOT a student loan, but a loan from the school itself ??

You're correct, they cannot garnish more than 15% of your NET wages. However, since you have no 'official' employer, I don't know how they'd do thiis. The 'time limit' and huge payment demand is a typcial collection agency tactic. They can't garnish ANYTHING without first suing you anyway. If this were a federal student loan, they wouldn't need a lawsuit, but you stated its not.

What CAN happen if you go to court is that they can win a judgment against you. While you have no 'official' income right now, the judgment will stay there for years and when you DO have an income they can attach they'll go for it. So, in a sense, you will be forced to pay the debt - eventually.

bijou-MP5

Thank you so much for your reply Ladynred.
It wasn't even a loan. In fact I just owe school tuition for one semester. I had a finanacial aid problem, so I didn't get any of grant.
I just called CA and talked to the manager instead of representitive. she was willing to accept my deal. I told her I will pay her 500 by mar 14th. and later on discuss this matters.
she wasn't nice person but she accepted a deal anyway.
far as garnishment, I was just going to take this to court and hear what judge have to say about this. Cause I was willing to pay off debts, it was just my financial situation that bothered me.
so far as i know, in order to CA to claim wage garnishment, they have to file a case to court right?
thank you for your help Ladynred.

Ladynred

Right, they cannot get a garnishment order unless they first sue you an win a judgment.

As for you DEAL on the phone, call that CA back, ask for that same woman, and tell them you want the agreement IN WRITING, otherwise, next month, or maybe even by tomorrow, they will FORGET you even HAD any 'agreement'. If its not in writing, you can't make them stick to it.

bijou-MP5

Ladynred said:
Right, they cannot get a garnishment order unless they first sue you an win a judgment.

As for you DEAL on the phone, call that CA back, ask for that same woman, and tell them you want the agreement IN WRITING, otherwise, next month, or maybe even by tomorrow, they will FORGET you even HAD any 'agreement'. If its not in writing, you can't make them stick to it.
Hi, Ladynred.
They said they are going to send out information about payment will be post at mar 14th.
I don't know if that can be written agreement.
as far as I know, we didn't really made payment arrangement, i'm just deposting the money to prove that i'm willing to make payment.
but I will call them as soon as I get the letter from them to make sure what wiill be actual payment arrangement is going to be like.
thank you for your good point!!!!

Skylyn

You mentioned that you wanted to go to another school. Keep in mind that your previous school can withhold your transcripts (grades, etc.) until you pay them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">