• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeaninecole

PA
I ordered a pizza and used a $30 check...I screwed up and end up bouncing the check. I didn't know about it in until the shop owner called. He said it was presented 2 times and he got a letter. My credit union has curtsy pay so I wasn't sure what happened and it after hours.
So I payed him with a credit card right there over the phone. I payed $30 +$20 he was happy I squared up. Then 4 days later the check hits my bank and clears also a $50 fee.. He told me that it wasn't going to be presented again also said he would not get the check...I have called him several times and doesn't call me back.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Your title is incorrect. There are no UNAUTHORIZED charges. You authorized the check transfer by writing it. You authorized the bank card transaction. Most likely the merchant did nothing wrong (other than being a victim of your financial impropriety).
The 'physical paper' of the check is no longer really part of the check clearance process and frankly the depositor has little control or even ability to tell where things are in the check clearance process.

I'd start by nicely pointing out to him that he should have now been paid twice and ask if you could have the second $50 back.

Jeaninecole

I did contact the shop owner and does not seem to care. So you are saying its ok and legal for him to keep everything?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
File a dispute with your credit card.

PA
I ordered a pizza and used a $30 check...I screwed up and end up bouncing the check. I didn't know about it in until the shop owner called. He said it was presented 2 times and he got a letter. My credit union has curtsy pay so I wasn't sure what happened and it after hours.
So I payed him with a credit card right there over the phone. I payed $30 +$20 he was happy I squared up. Then 4 days later the check hits my bank and clears also a $50 fee.. He told me that it wasn't going to be presented again also said he would not get the check...I have called him several times and doesn't call me back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">