• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized credit card applications.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uzid_427

My bank, whose name I choose not release just yet, submitted a credit card application without my consent or approval. The card was denied by the bank, my FICO was not quite strong enough. After being declined, the application was AUTOMATICLY resubmitted by my bank to an 'affiliated' bank with slightly lower standards who approved me for $500, but immediately applied the annual fee of $60 bucks (ridiculous). This all happened over a month ago and I received no paperwork, card or anything. Fortunately, I check my credit report regularly or I would have never known I had this card. It took me just over an hour to clear all this up Now, I have the all the information down to branch location and I have the individuals name who submitted the application. However, this is where it gets a little sticky. Employees at this bank are being terminated left and right for not selling enough credit cards. I know this to be a fact from several friends I have within this bank - no, it was not one of them, but I am loosely acquainted with the individual as this is my home branch. So the person who put in the application is just trying to save her job. In no way do I justify her actions, especially since I lost a credit line I wanted as a result of this and the FICO points I lost as I have worked so damn hard and am closing in on that 700 mark, but I understand. So where to from here? That would be the question. In no way do I want to attack this one individual directly and honestly the damages I have incurred in no way justify serious legal action. However, I am seriously pissed that this bank would 1. allow such applications to be submitted without any signatures our personal verification, and 2. even if I had applied for their card, who the hell are they to AUTOMATICALLY transfer my app app to some other lending agency with ridiculous rates and high annual fees and low limits? And yes it was the bank and not the individual who 'resubmitted' the app. So what action is there to take?

davew128

Speak to a bank manager and request that they fix the problem starting with cancelling the new card and removing or recoding all credit inquiries from hard to soft. Do not relent.

Bank employees can be incredibly stupid sometime. I once had a BOA employee enter my info for a FICO check after I naively gave him my license while simply inquiring about opening an account and discussing options that might work. I decided not to open an account there and was stunned to find I had a credit check done on me without ever signing or authorizing anything.

Antigone*

My bank, whose name I choose not release just yet, submitted a credit card application without my consent or approval. The card was denied by the bank, my FICO was not quite strong enough. After being declined, the application was AUTOMATICLY resubmitted by my bank to an 'affiliated' bank with slightly lower standards who approved me for $500, but immediately applied the annual fee of $60 bucks (ridiculous). This all happened over a month ago and I received no paperwork, card or anything. Fortunately, I check my credit report regularly or I would have never known I had this card. It took me just over an hour to clear all this up Now, I have the all the information down to branch location and I have the individuals name who submitted the application. However, this is where it gets a little sticky. Employees at this bank are being terminated left and right for not selling enough credit cards. I know this to be a fact from several friends I have within this bank - no, it was not one of them, but I am loosely acquainted with the individual as this is my home branch. So the person who put in the application is just trying to save her job. In no way do I justify her actions, especially since I lost a credit line I wanted as a result of this and the FICO points I lost as I have worked so damn hard and am closing in on that 700 mark, but I understand. So where to from here? That would be the question. In no way do I want to attack this one individual directly and honestly the damages I have incurred in no way justify serious legal action. However, I am seriously pissed that this bank would 1. allow such applications to be submitted without any signatures our personal verification, and 2. even if I had applied for their card, who the hell are they to AUTOMATICALLY transfer my app app to some other lending agency with ridiculous rates and high annual fees and low limits? And yes it was the bank and not the individual who 'resubmitted' the app. So what action is there to take?
If you want this fixed you are going to have to file a complaint with the bank. The person who initiated the fraudulent credit card application should be fired. One of the disclosures that she probably should have read to you was that if you were declined, then an affiliate bank would then take the opporutnity to look at the application. So if you want the bank to assume responsiblity and fix the damage they did to your credit report you are going to have to be angry enough to file the complaint.

Otherwise stew in silence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">