• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

utility bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennimata

What is the name of your state? va

my husband recently noticed that an old utility bill was being reported on his credit report. found out it is a bill for the gas company that was disconnected on feb 4 '99. is that the date i go by to figure the sol? or if the bill was late before the disconnect date do we go off that one? tho i have no idea if it was late since the gas company has no records kept on the bill and we dont have those bills either. i have spoken to the ca and asked for proof of this bill since the gas company no longer has any details other than dates. i have never received any sort of verification. all they sent me was the notice that they were attempting to collect. since the gas company sent the bill to the wrong address (they entered south street instead of 50th street somehow.) the ca had the wrong address and had no way to get in touch with us until i called.

also another question. what kind of account is a library account considered and what date do i go off of for that in figuring the sol?

thanks in advance.

Ladynred

SOL starts with the 'cause of action', which in most states is the first missed payment causing a continuous default. A utility bill would fall under the UCC SOL of 4 years for goods and services.

Instead of talking to the CA on the phone, send them a validation demand IN WRITING, send it certified. Since you already know that the gas company has no records, there' s no way they can validate the debt and they must cease collections and remove any entries on his CR if they cannot prove it.

I don't know about a library account, though I seriously doubt its a written contract.

J

jennimata

SOL starts with the 'cause of action', which in most states is the first missed payment causing a continuous default.
so that would be a month after the service was disconnected? seems logical i assume since most bills are due upon receipt. so if thats the case then the sol has run. is there anything i should do to notify the ca that the sol has run? i was also under the assumption that the sol for this was 5 years in va. a written contract or do utility bills have a seperate determination?

sorry for all the questions. were just irritated that instead of trying to find us (we never moved out of state and never moved out of the area and the phone # is always listed) they slapped it on his credit report.

Ladynred

To be honest, I'm not sure which SOL would previal.

So, go the validation route. The gas company has already admitted they have no records, so there's no possible way the CA can validate - then they'll have to go away.

You can find info and sample letters on validation at www.creditinfocenter.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">