• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Elverna Ponder

I received a request to garnishment of wages. I co-signed for a relative and no action is being taken aganist him. He has been working while I'm expected to pay for his debt. What action can I take. I live in the Michigan

JETX

Your post is missing something... Unless you 'signed away' the need, garnishment for a debt can't be done without a court judgment. You, or the other 'co-signer' were sued and a judgment rendered against you.

Contact the creditor and find out about the judgment. See if it was handled correctly. If the judgment was properly rendered, you get the thrill of first-hand learning the joys of co-signing.

Your only recourse will be to pay the debt, then sue the person that you co-signed for. Your suit, and its recovery, are the actions that you can take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">