• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

XXMoonXX

I am having problems paying my credit cards. I live in Florida and own a mobile home with a mortgage on it. All my living money comes from postal disability retirement. Are these type of wages exempt from garnishment ?? All my debts except my home are unsecured, if I do not file bankruptcy and my wages are exempt, can they come after my property ??

S

skwirl

You didn't mention how old your mobile home is or if the land it is on is yours or do you live in a mobile home park. In either case, I wouldn't worry about the home for two reasons. Usually you need equity in the home to be worth taking and mobile homes, like cars decrease in value as they get older...thus..no equity! Second, as long as you are making your payments on your mortgage you can always declare it in bankruptcy but sign a reaffirmation agreement so you can keep the home. If you declare BK then all of those credit card debts will be gone.. no attachments can made on any wages at that point, however if you choose to not declare BK then your creditors can choose to get a judgment in court which means you would never be able to sell your home or land without them stepping in for a piece of the pie. As for the wage attachments?!? Usually disability is not attachable in most states. I have a friend who is disabled and they can't even attach it to get his child support, and if the child support unit can't get it, I doubt a creditor is going to have much luck either!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">