• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Is Being Judgement Proof?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamasbyz

What is the name of your state? N.C.

What does it mean to be Judgement proof? Also, are there "different types" of judgements?

Ladynred

What exactly are you referring to when you ask if there are different types of judgments? A judgment is a court order, basically. If its for debt its referred to as a 'money judgment'.

"judgment proof' means you have no income that can be attached, and no assets that can be seized or liened to satisfy a judgment. If your 'permanent' income is from SSI, disability, or most pensions, it cannot be garnished and is exempt.

M

mamasbyz

My husband owes a Visa Credit Card company and they have hired an attorney to take over the account for collection. I was taken out of work a year ago for medical reasons and he only makes enough to pay the necessities such as rent and utilities. We have 2 small children and of course their needs come first. I spoke with the collector today on the phone and I stated to him I felt we were "judgement proof" because we have nothing in our names. (house, cars, life inurance, CD's, etc). The guy told me that there were "different types" of judgements they could take out and we were not judgement proof just b/c we did not own anything. I understand it will go on his credit but he also mentioned "seizing" and I told him if he felt we had something they could seize to come on. all we really own are the clothes on our back. I explained this was an unexpected turn of events and if he could he would settle with them but it is financially impossible. He feels really terrible about this account b/c he had perfect credit before I got sick.

Another question: I mentioned in the conversation that our car was repoed a few months ago (trying to get across this is how bad our situation is) and he wanted to know who the car was financed through. I told him I didn't know. Why did he want this information?

Ladynred

Well, the collection attorney is full of bull about 'different kinds of judgments'... geez.. he's trying to dodge and scare you is all that nonsense is about.

Your husband works, therefore he's not entirely judgment proof, they could garnish his wages. If you haven't any non-exempt property they can't sieze a damn thing.

Who knows why he wanted to know who repo'd your car, that wouldn't get him anything anyway, but you will probably end up with a collection agency calling your for a deficiency on that too. Again, I think he's jerkin' your chain, not a thing he could do with that information - except to verify that the repo was real.

When was the last time you paid on this Visa anyway ?

M

mamasbyz

Thanks for your help. The last time he paid on that Visa was about a year ago he believes. It was about the time I was taken out of work, which was 1 year ago this month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">