• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will I go to jail for credit card fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynrebbat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I was divorced after 26 yrs of marriage, I have NEVER committed a crime until now, I was desparate to keep my job and had to meet a sales quota to make the bonus I needed to provide for my family. I made a very poor choice to use a credit card of someone I know, without their consent but with the intention to repay hoping they would have mercy on me and not get the authorites involved. To summarize:
I found and used a credit card to make purchases to my company in order to reach my sales quota on July 31st and returned it on August 1st along with an unsigned letter admitting the charges I made ($2100) and that I would repay them in mid August once I received a bonus from my company.
I never had the chance to do that because the complaintant hired an investigator, which in turn contacted my company (the name of which I disclosed in the letter I gave to the owner of the card) I was promptly terminated from my job so I was unable to repay the complaintant for the charges I incurred. I immediately returned ALL of the product I purchased to my company in an effort to make right what I had done. I had hoped the case had been dropped. It was not, I was arrested 2 wks ago at most recent place of employment. There are 4 felony charges against me for the transactions I made to my former company.
I am not a criminal, although I HAVE committed a criminal act of which I am so sorry for... I know I need to hire and attorney but as a newly divorced, now unemployed mother of 4 I have no money to do so. I am scared that if I go with a public defender I will surely end up in jail!!! I don't know what to do.... will I go to jail for a first time offense of credit card fraud, what is the minimum/maximum sentence for a white collar crime such as this with no other criminal background? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I was divorced after 26 yrs of marriage, I have NEVER committed a crime until now, I was desparate to keep my job and had to meet a sales quota to make the bonus I needed to provide for my family. I made a very poor choice to use a credit card of someone I know, without their consent but with the intention to repay hoping they would have mercy on me and not get the authorites involved. To summarize:
I found and used a credit card to make purchases to my company in order to reach my sales quota on July 31st and returned it on August 1st along with an unsigned letter admitting the charges I made ($2100) and that I would repay them in mid August once I received a bonus from my company.
Hold up a sec - how exactly did you "find" this credit card? Did you steal it?

I never had the chance to do that because the complaintant hired an investigator, which in turn contacted my company (the name of which I disclosed in the letter I gave to the owner of the card) I was promptly terminated from my job so I was unable to repay the complaintant for the charges I incurred. I immediately returned ALL of the product I purchased to my company in an effort to make right what I had done. I had hoped the case had been dropped. It was not, I was arrested 2 wks ago at most recent place of employment. There are 4 felony charges against me for the transactions I made to my former company.
I am not a criminal, although I HAVE committed a criminal act of which I am so sorry for... I know I need to hire and attorney but as a newly divorced, now unemployed mother of 4 I have no money to do so. I am scared that if I go with a public defender I will surely end up in jail!!! I don't know what to do.... will I go to jail for a first time offense of credit card fraud, what is the minimum/maximum sentence for a white collar crime such as this with no other criminal background? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you can tell us exactly what you are charged with (statute) it will be easier to assist you.

Antigone*

What do you mean you are not a criminal:confused: You committed a crime - YOU are a criminal.

How old are your kids?

Hot Topic

You say that you had to make a sales quota in order to be eligible for a bonus. Saying that you had to make the quota to save your job would be more believable than claiming that you had to get the bonus.

Criminals have no right to complaint about the representation they're assigned. If you go to jail, you should. And you should have worried about that before you did what you did.

Proserpina

no crime, if no corpus delecti, U think. did the bank lend money or extend credit. Could you define money for me, please? How can a bank be an injured party if it only extends credit? maybe you should do your homework before posting, I have been told.
You have utterly no idea what you're talking about, do you? Seriously Dillon - please, quit posting.

The fact that there are four felony charges against the OP would support the notion that OP has indeed committed a crime - and that's not even touching on OP's own admission that a crime was committed.

Please - if you truly want to help people, sit back, learn and quit posting for your own amusement.

Antigone*

You have utterly no idea what you're talking about, do you? Seriously Dillon - please, quit posting.

The fact that there are four felony charges against the OP would support the notion that OP has indeed committed a crime - and that's not even touching on OP's own admission that a crime was committed.

Please - if you truly want to help people, sit back, learn and quit posting for your own amusement.
I told you Pro...this guy hijacked the turnip truck.:rolleyes:

cyjeff

no crime, if no corpus delecti, U think. did the bank lend money or extend credit. Could you define money for me, please? How can a bank be an injured party if it only extends credit? did the bank validate the debt? Did the bank under oath state it had a loss? maybe you should do your homework before posting.
That's it.

That is the biggest single load of crap I have ever seen... and I used to have to shovel out a barn as punishment.

I have to think you are intentionally doing this crap so that you can giggle. Here is another giggle....

this and every other time you post I will be reporting it until you are banned. Shouldn't take long.

Proserpina

Did i say something untrue, I am only asking questions

would an attorney tell this guy not to accuse himself ?
Yes, you did.

no crime, if no corpus delecti, U think. did the bank lend money or extend credit. Could you define money for me, please? How can a bank be an injured party if it only extends credit? did the bank validate the debt? Did the bank under oath state it had a loss? maybe you should do your homework before posting.
This entire post is completely worthless.

moburkes

Sure I can. When they're asked by people with some intelligence, or at least a little common sense.

That was a freebie, since you don't qualify.

Dillon

Sure I can. When they're asked by people with some intelligence, or at least a little common sense.

That was a freebie, since you don't qualify.
i am waiting, can you just answer this little, simple and easy question?

if you cant answer responsively, then you must agree with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">