• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worthless Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jimbo713

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,

A guy wrote me a check for $500, I went to the bank to cash it and Wells Fargo advised that it was NSF. I asked the teller to stamp the check NSF so I could file charges on the guy and they refused, stating they did not have an NSF stamp. They instructed me to deposit the check in my bank and get it stamped that way. This is impossible as I do not have a checking account.

If a check is made payable to me and I go into the bank and demand it be paid, don't they have to give me something in writing if they refuse to cash the check? Is there some law governing this I can show the bank officer? It is impossible for me to obtain a checking account, but I do not want to let this guy get away with this.

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jimbo713 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,

A guy wrote me a check for $500, I went to the bank to cash it and Wells Fargo advised that it was NSF. I asked the teller to stamp the check NSF so I could file charges on the guy and they refused, stating they did not have an NSF stamp. They instructed me to deposit the check in my bank and get it stamped that way. This is impossible as I do not have a checking account.

If a check is made payable to me and I go into the bank and demand it be paid, don't they have to give me something in writing if they refuse to cash the check? Is there some law governing this I can show the bank officer? It is impossible for me to obtain a checking account, but I do not want to let this guy get away with this.

Thanks.

My response:

No, they don't "have to hand stamp it NSF". The check MUST go through the Federal Reserve System to be of any effect.

However, that's not to say that Wells Fargo "couldn't" have a manager handwrite NSF, and then sign that statement, on the face of the check. But, they don't "have to". So, if there's no manager willing to do this for you, then you're going to have to deposit it - - somehow.

Read the Uniform Commerical Code for specifics.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">