• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

writ of execution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hhaysr

What is the name of your state?pa :confused:
i was served papers for a civil action
the total amount is 300.00 i would pay but doctor did bad job
this writ says there is a 300.00 debtor"exempton. what does this mean?they also call it a statutory exemption any help
greatly app.

Ladynred

As with bankruptcy, each state has exemptions you can use to exempt property and assets from being siezed in a judgement. In your case, in PA, there is an exemption of "$300 of any property" that you can use to protect your property. $300 is pretty low, so I 'm not sure if this means up to $300 per item or not. I doubt it would mean $300 TOTAL for personal property, that would be almost absurd these days.

I found this tidbit:

"Pennsylvania does not permit waiver of the exemptions from attachment or execution granted by statute by the debtor by express or implied contract before or after the commencement of the matter, the entry of judgment or otherwise. (42 Pa.C.S. § 8122.) A judgment debtor generally is entitled to exemption from execution certain general monetary exemptions up to $300 in bank notes, money, securities, real property, judgments or other indebtedness due the judgment debtor. (42 Pa.C.S. § 8123.)"

When you say the dr. did a 'bad job', are you saying you perhaps refused to pay the dr. because of a perceived malpractice ??

Last edited:

JETX

Any claims about the doctor and the job he did, etc. are totally irrelevant at this point. The judgment was rendered and you either didn't show up to defend yourself, or the court heard your evidence and ruled against you. In either case, dead horse.

So, you now have a judgment against you. The judgment creditor can use the state laws to enforce that judgment. That is what the Writ of Execution is.... a legal process whereby the sheriff can sieze any non-exempt property and post it for sale, with the proceeds going to pay the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">