• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong info in credit report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loo222

I live in connecticut- I was recently denied a loan from the federal "plus" loan program for parents to pay college costs for thier children. The reason was past due credit card bills , I asked which credit card and was given the name of a bank and card that I never had any contact with. It turns out my son at college in Boston was given a "free" t-shirt for filling out a credit card application. Since he only earns $50 aweek at a part time job he was surprised to receive the credit card a few weeks later which he used and is now behind on the payments.This is the card on my credit report -all bills went to his Boston address and he never used my address or social security #. We have the same name and middle initial so I thought it was a mistake, but a call to the bank did not help- they refused to remove this from my credit report and without the loan I was denied my son was not able to go back to school this semester. Is there anything I can do about this??

E

eseelye

Ask the bank for proof of the debt, in writing. They must provide you with a copy of the application, with your signature on it, to prove the card was yours in the first place. Send all correspondence Certified Return Receipt via USPS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">