• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X is causing trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Camelot

What is the name of your state? N.C. I have been divoreced since May 2002, seperated 1 year prior to that date. We did the "do it yourself" divorce as I wanted nothing except to be rid of him. Yesterday I received a phone call from a man claiming to be a lawyer filing a Civil Suit against me from by X pertaining to a credit card I have NEVER heard of. We have been apart for over 3 years. What do I do?? Please help.

Ladynred

So, you're saying some guy calls you out of the blue and says your EX is Suing YOU over a credit card ?? Or is this a collection lawyer calling you saying THEY will sue you for this mystery credit card ??

C

Camelot

The man called on my cell phone so I'm not sure if he was an attorney. The call was made on Sunday evening. I don't know anything about the credit card. Can a person do something like that after 3 years??

Ladynred

You never really answered my question, is your EX suing you or is a collection agency saying they will sue ?

If there IS a lawsuit filed by your EX there will record or it at the courthouse, so you can call there and find out if anything's been filed against you.

C

Camelot

I called the court house as you suggested and there is NOTHING filed in my name. So I assume that the person calling was from a collection agency. My main question: is there a time limit on filing a civil suit against a person in NC? We never had any joint accounts. I never had any credit cards. Everything like that was in his name. Any advice on what I should do?? I have a new cell phone number now so that person will not be calling me again. My former does not know where I live except that it is still in NC. I haven't seen or spoken to him in little over 3 years. Does not make sense to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">