• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

down-payment with letter of intent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

netto

What is the name of your state? NY

I'm looking at a small floral shop at $17k, with 1/2 up front and 1/2 over 24 months at 0%.

I'm going to make a $10.7k cash offer with a letter of intent, but have some questions.

Should I tell the owner the $ amount first to see if that amount is acceptable to him before doing the letter?

He is asking for $1,500 up front down-payment to take the business of the market (he is selling it himself - no broker). Is this normal?

If I give him this money, can I get it back if due dilligence finds problems that make me back out of the deal?

Thanks.

HomeGuru

netto said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I'm looking at a small floral shop at $17k, with 1/2 up front and 1/2 over 24 months at 0%.

I'm going to make a $10.7k cash offer with a letter of intent, but have some questions.

Should I tell the owner the $ amount first to see if that amount is acceptable to him before doing the letter?

He is asking for $1,500 up front down-payment to take the business of the market (he is selling it himself - no broker). Is this normal?

If I give him this money, can I get it back if due dilligence finds problems that make me back out of the deal?

Thanks.
**A: you are willing to spend $17,000 without doing a contract to purchase and without help from an attorney? What type of flowers have you been sniffing?

N

netto

I thought the contract to purchase came after the letter of intent and due dilligence?

I'm going to use an attorney, but I need to learn as much as I can before paying him to tell me stuff I can find out on my own.

You guys are quite expensive, I know it's worth it in the long run, but I need to do as much legwork as I can.

So...can you answer what I've asked?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">