• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Investment in Real Estate held outside of US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FAdvice

I plan to sell property held outside of the US. What are the US tax implications of selling the property. I will pay taxes in the country where the property is held.

tranquility

I plan to sell property held outside of the US. What are the US tax implications of selling the property. I will pay taxes in the country where the property is held.
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident you pay taxes on all your income. The sale of the property would be a capital gain or loss and should be reported. The tax you pay for income that is reported in the U.S. and a foreign country gets a "foreign tax credit". Form 1116 should probably be filled out to report that credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">