• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opening a Forex/CFD account in Canada (or anywhere outside the US)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WilliamFornham

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois, though should be irrelevant.

I'm looking to open a Forex/CFD account in Canada. This is because US regulation means that I cannot trade CFDs on leverage from the US, and does not allow hedging. This is important because I would like to set up a signal for trading, and most (more like all really) of these signals are set up outside the US and do not conform to US regulations, meaning I would not be able to use them. Thus I would like to set up an account registered in Canada. To do this I would need to show residency in Canada, which looks very hard to do, so I was planning on having a Canadian citizen open the account for me.

If there's too many regulatory issues I also know some Chinese people, I might be able to work out an account in China if the regulatory environment is easier than Canada, but I'm guessing it won't be.

First, I wanted to find out if this is possible. For instance, I don't want to have to funnel money through them, can I send money to these brokerage accounts from a US bank account if the account is registered outside the US? I understand that this isn't really a legal question and you guys might not be able to answer.

Second, I just wanted to make sure this is legal. If it's not legal and I have to funnel the money through someone, how can I set this up such that everything is legal and I'm protected?

Thanks,
Will

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois, though should be irrelevant.

I'm looking to open a Forex/CFD account in Canada. This is because US regulation means that I cannot trade CFDs on leverage from the US, and does not allow hedging. This is important because I would like to set up a signal for trading, and most (more like all really) of these signals are set up outside the US and do not conform to US regulations, meaning I would not be able to use them. Thus I would like to set up an account registered in Canada. To do this I would need to show residency in Canada, which looks very hard to do, so I was planning on having a Canadian citizen open the account for me.

If there's too many regulatory issues I also know some Chinese people, I might be able to work out an account in China if the regulatory environment is easier than Canada, but I'm guessing it won't be.

First, I wanted to find out if this is possible. For instance, I don't want to have to funnel money through them, can I send money to these brokerage accounts from a US bank account if the account is registered outside the US? I understand that this isn't really a legal question and you guys might not be able to answer.

Second, I just wanted to make sure this is legal. If it's not legal and I have to funnel the money through someone, how can I set this up such that everything is legal and I'm protected?

Thanks,
Will
You are going to massively complicate you life, tax-wise, if you do either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">