• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Loan Info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NuOHScout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio (but debtor would be in Kentucky)

I do not know if this is the right category, but it was the closest I could find. I have a friend that I am wanting to lend some money to. They are a good friend, but if I have learned anything from watching Judge Judy, it's to get a contract and get it in writing even with friends and family.

Since this is crossing state lines here, does it need to follow Ohio law (where I am, and I am doing the lending) or Kentucky law (where she is, and she's doing the borrowing). I was not going to charge much interest, but I do know it has to fall within the state rules...thus another reason I wanted to know which state I should follow on this. AND, where do I find the allowed interests rates, for loans, for both states?

:) Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">