• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stockbroker Brother Stole investment money from Grandmother ! How do we get it back ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shanty

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi everyone.

I need some advice on how to deal with a situation that has created much sadness, anger, and distress in our family. Please give your advice.

My brother has been a stockbroker for about 15 years now. He's done very well for himself and makes over $ 300,000 a year.

About ten years ago, my Grandmother decided to invest money with my brother's brockeridge firm. She wrote my brother a check for $ 10,000 and this money was supposed to go for some investments through this firm.

At around the same time, my brother was considering buying a condominium. But since he's always been a very big spender, he didn't have enough money for the required down payment that was needed. And he also wasn't making the kind of money back then that he is today.

So what did my Brother do ?

He took my Grandmother's $ 10,000 check that was supposed to go for investments and put it into the down payment for his condo instead.

In other words, he STOLE the money !

Nothing was done to him at that time. Our family didn't report him to the police or to his company, and he said that he would try to pay it back when he could.

A few years after this, he sold his condominium and moved out of the state. Then, a couple years after that, he gave my Grandmother $ 1,000 at Christmas time.

Today, ten years later, he still has made no other effort to give her back any of the money that he originally stole from her and used for his condo.

At the same time, he has three houses, several cars, all sorts of other toys and gadgets, goes on lots of expensive trips, etc.

What can my Grandmother and the rest of the family do at this time to make my brother pay back the money he stole from her ?

When he first stole the money ten years ago, no one went to the police or to his company because of fears that him getting in trouble over this would cost him his job.

No one wanted him to lose his job.

Yet, he still committed a crime. If he had done this to any of his other clients, he probably would have lost his job and been criminally charged.

So to sum it all up, he used our own caring for him and concern for his career against us as he stole from my Grandmother.

What can we do at this point to make her pay her the money back ?

What should we have done back then ?

At this point, it is now better understood ( even though some members of the family didn't want to admit it ) that my brother committed a crime when he stole that money.

What can be done ?

Legally, criminally, or just to apply pressure to make him pay back the money he stole ?

Jeter

If you want to apply pressure legally, hire a lawyer. If you just want to apply pressure, hire "Bruno 3 fingers Fanelli".

Jeter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">