• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apt Complex Landlord filed for bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creative_kimber

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

We moved 2 months ago and have had our money stolen, got the apartment in horrible condition.. they held our mail keys for a month and it has been a nightmare! I finally got fed up and sent my 2nd letter (this one certified) with request for repairs to the address listed on the city's Central Appraisal District's web page in CA. We got a letter back from our landlords attorney a few days ago after no response from the person @ the address in CA... and it says they have filed for bankruptcy. I know this property accepts assistance from the govt for low income housing, though I am not someone on Sect. 8. Surely they can get in trouble for taking grants from the govt and not maintaining the property? I want to sue, but I know you can't get blood out of a turnip. Is there any thing I can do, as a full paying tenant, to make them fix my unit to an acceptable standard of living? How can I make them reflect the money that I have paid to them that they "have no record of?" I can't just move. I don't know if it is worth it to attempt to sue them, or even get them to recognize the wrong they have done to my family. They have caused us a lot of problems financially by holding our mail keys. I have a disabled child and I needed my mail. :( Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

swalsh411

Not allowing you access to your mail is most definitely illegal even if you are behind on rent. I would give them 24 hours to return your mail key and then report this to the post office. Postal inspectors do not mess around and interfering with the mail is nearly always a felony.

I cannot believe that you allowed them to prevent you access to your mail for a month. How did they even get your mail key? Did you hand it over? Did they change the locks?

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

We moved 2 months ago and have had our money stolen, got the apartment in horrible condition.. they held our mail keys for a month and it has been a nightmare! I finally got fed up and sent my 2nd letter (this one certified) with request for repairs to the address listed on the city's Central Appraisal District's web page in CA. We got a letter back from our landlords attorney a few days ago after no response from the person @ the address in CA... and it says they have filed for bankruptcy. I know this property accepts assistance from the govt for low income housing, though I am not someone on Sect. 8. Surely they can get in trouble for taking grants from the govt and not maintaining the property? I want to sue, but I know you can't get blood out of a turnip. Is there any thing I can do, as a full paying tenant, to make them fix my unit to an acceptable standard of living? How can I make them reflect the money that I have paid to them that they "have no record of?" I can't just move. I don't know if it is worth it to attempt to sue them, or even get them to recognize the wrong they have done to my family. They have caused us a lot of problems financially by holding our mail keys. I have a disabled child and I needed my mail. :( Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

You say you got the apartment in "horrible condition." You need to provide specifics. Was the front door lock broken? Could you get hot water? Was the ceiling leaking? The toilet not working? "Horrible" is too general a term to address properly.

If you needed your mail, why did you allow them to hold your mail keys for a month? You should have contacted the postmaster immediately.

You should be able to contact your bank and get copies of the checks you sent to pay your rent. Obviously if the checks were cashed, they got the money.

They don't care if your child is disabled, and they don't care about the problems they've caused you. That should be obvious.

Did the lawyer give you any idea what's going to happen now?

FarmerJ

So you know, LLs who participate in reduced rent progs do it most of the time because the loans they got (mortage) were lower interest but obligated them to participate in housing progs most of the time for the duration of the mortgages. BK or not if you have legitimate repairs that need to be made ( mechanical , structural, safety related or city ord required and the LL is not doing them , It doesnt matter if they have low income housing or grand castle your city can order repairs that are in violation of state and local codes. Kimber if LL is going to BK I would suggest you consider learning what you can about any deposit you paid and what you can do to make sure that your able to formally voice your concerns about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">