• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

creditors after assets.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?CA

Can filing for BK stop creditors from going after my home, which is almost paid off? What other options do I have? What type of BK would I file? Can I refi the home and get all equity out and spend it in Las vegas? This way there is no equity in my home?

Joseph

JETX

Joseph_free said:
What is the name of your state?CA

Can filing for BK stop creditors from going after my home, which is almost paid off? What other options do I have? What type of BK would I file? Can I refi the home and get all equity out and spend it in Las vegas? This way there is no equity in my home?

Joseph
How does this question of personal assets/property have anything to do with your subject line of "BUSINESS bankruptcy"??? Did you have personal guarantees on business contracts??

Jetx,

Thanks for the reply. I have a travel business that has gone sour. I owe a lot of money. I can I protect my home from creditors going after it. If I file for bankcruptcy on my business, i.e. ch 13 or 11, will they be able to go after my home?

thanks.

JETX

Joseph_free said:
I have a travel business that has gone sour. I owe a lot of money. I can I protect my home from creditors going after it. If I file for bankcruptcy on my business, i.e. ch 13 or 11, will they be able to go after my home?
If your business is a proprietorship or if you gave personal guarantees, the creditors could get a judgment against you and then using that judgment, seize/levy/lien any non-exempt property that you own. If you file bankruptcy and the court discharges the debt, the creditors cannot go after your protected property.

Jetx,

Forgive my lack of knowledge. I started researching this issue when it came up.
My business is a sole proprietorship.
What do you mean by personal guarantees and non-exempt property?

thanks,

Joseph

JETX

Joseph_free said:
My business is a sole proprietorship.
And with that, any claims against your business can be made against you personally.

What do you mean by personal guarantees and non-exempt property?
When a new 'corporation' is started, it is common for the creditors to require that someone be a personal 'guarantor' on the corporations debts. This is to allow the creditor to pursue their claim against an individual in the event the corporation breaches the repayment agreement. Since your post says you are a proprietorship, none of this would apply to you as you are already personally liable.

As for 'non-exempt', each state sets there own property exempt from judgments due to consumer debt.
In your state (California) you get to choose between two exemption plans. They are:
"A debtor must choose between Option 1 or 2.

Option 1
* Homestead: Real or personal property you occupy including a mobile home, boat, stock cooperative, community apartment, planned development or condo, up to $50,000 if single and not disabled; $75,000 for families if no other member has a homestead. If one spouse files, he or she may exempt one-half of amount if home held as community property and all of amount if home held as tenants in common. $100,000 limit if age 65 or older, or physically or mentally disabled; $100,000 limit if 55 or older, single and earn under $15,000, or married and earn under $20,000, and creditors seek to force the sale of the home. Sale proceeds exempt for 6 months after received. Husband and wife may not double the exemption. May file a homestead declaration.
* Pensions and Retirement Benefits: Funds exempt for county employees, county firefighters, county peace officers and public employees. IRA exemptions for conventional, Roth, SEP and SIMPLE plans. Limited to amount necessary for support of debtor and dependents.
* Insurance: Disability or health benefits. Fraternal unemployment bonds. Life insurance proceeds or avails if clause prohibits proceeds from being used to pay beneficiary's creditors. Fidelity bonds. Homeowner's insurance proceeds for 6 months after received, to homestead exemption amount. Matured life insurance benefits needed for support. Unmatured life insurance policy loan value to $8,000; husband and wife may double to $16,000
* Personal Property: Appliances, furnishings, clothing and food needed. Bank deposits from Social Security Administration up to $2,000 ($3,000 for husband and wife). Building materials up to $2,000 to repair or improve home (husband and wife may not double). Burial plot. Health aids. Jewelry, heirlooms and art up to $5,000 total (may not be doubled). Motor vehicles to $1,900 in auto insurance if vehicle(s) lost, damaged or destroyed (may not be doubled). Personal injury causes of action. Personal injury recoveries needed for support; if receiving installments, at least 75%. Wrongful death causes of action. Wrongful death recoveries needed for support; if receiving installments, at least 75%.
* Tools of Trade: Tools, implements, materials, instruments, uniforms, books, furnishings, equipment, vessel, motor vehicle up to $5,000 total; up to $10,000 total if used by both spouses in same occupation (cannot claim motor vehicle under both tools of trade exemption and motor vehicle exemption).
* Miscellaneous: Business partnership property. Business or professional license, except liquor license. Inmates' trust funds up to $1,000 (husband and wife may not double).
* Wages: Public employees' vacation credits (if receiving installments, at least 75%). 75% of wages paid within 90 days of filing for bankruptcy.
* Public Benefits: Aid to blind, aged, disabled. AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children). Financial aid to students. Relocation benefits. Union benefits due to labor dispute. Unemployment benefits. Workers' compensation.
* Wild Card: None.

Option 2
* Homestead: Real or personal property including a co-op, used as residence up to $17,425. Unused portion of homestead may be applied to any property.
* Pensions and Retirement Benefits: ERISA-qualified benefits needed for support. IRA exemptions for conventional, Roth, SEP and SIMPLE plans. Limited to amount necessary for support of debtor and dependents.
* Insurance: Disability or health benefits. Life insurance proceeds or avails needed for support. Unmatured life insurance contract accrued avails to $9,300. Unmatured life insurance policy other than credit.
* Personal Property: Animals, crops, appliances, furnishings, household goods, books, musical instruments and clothing up to $450 per item. Burial plot up to $17,425, in lieu of homestead. Health aids. Jewelry up to $1,150. Motor vehicle up to $2,775. Personal injury recoveries up to $15,000 (not to include pain and suffering or pecuniary loss). Wrongful death recoveries needed for support.
* Tools of Trade: Implements, books and tools of trade up to $1,750.
* Miscellaneous: Alimony. Child support needed for support.
* Wages: None.
* Public Benefits: Unemployment benefits. Crime victim's compensation. Public assistance. Social Security. Veteran's benefits.
* Wild Card: $925 of any property. Unused portion of homestead or burial exemption of any property."

See a lawyer...

Being a sole prop, and having your business go south, you are probably better off to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy where all your debts are liquidated, except for those that are secured (like your house), taxes, and student loans. You should probably set up appointments with a couple of lawyers in your area to discuss your options. Most BK lawyers will give you a free consultation...visit with several to make sure you pick one you're comfortable with and that's more that just a "fill in the blanks and file the forms" kind of person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">