• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee owed wages from 2003 Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alemaker566

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My current employer has owed me 2 weeks of wages dating back to a bankruptcy filing in 2003. Roughly $2000.

This past fall I received a letter from a firm (whose stated goal is to help companies save money) telling me that I had 30 days to return the letter to them to claim my check for $238. I shredded that letter to avoid the temptation to take the money, knowing I was owed much more. Everybody that sent back the letter was indeed paid the 10 cents on the dollar. Myself and few others held out.

Today I not only received another letter from the same firm but also a check for $238. Both stated that by cashing this check we were "releasing all claims of debt from [employer] and accepting this as payment in full.

I have no intention of cashing this check either. It's my belief that this is simply a manuever to get me to settle for less than owed.

My question is this: Is there anything I need to do convey to the firm that I have no intention of settling for less than I'm owed, or do I just sit back and wait?

Thanks for your advice!

Alemaker566

The bankruptcy happened in 2003! Another company bought them while in bankruptcy and acquired the debt schedule. The details were something along the lines of this: Depending on the new company's gross sales, they had to pay a minimum of $200,000/year and a maximum of $400,000/year to administration/creditors through 2009 until all were paid or time ran out.

I still work for the new company and know that business has been very profitable during the past 4+ years. That,along with the wording of the letters, makes me believe they are simply trying to pay out as little as possible...which I don't blame them for. It's good business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">