• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Headed for Bankruptcy and I'm Worried About Creditors Coming After Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frannyz

The company is a corporation but she is the only owner and the BOE said her name is on the Seller's Permit.

frannyz

What if I serve notice to my employer that if she doesn't pay these debts she owes, that I must leave the company and not work for her. Would this help idemify me in this situation?

tranquility

What if I serve notice to my employer that if she doesn't pay these debts she owes, that I must leave the company and not work for her. Would this help idemify me in this situation?
Look, while I understand your concern, in the end I suspect you will not owe the taxes. (Probably because *you* did not "willfully" not pay them.) However, that does not mean there is not going to be some time in arguing with the state before then. From what I read on my insurance coverage newsletters, the state is not a monster and goes after the main guys first and will often "forgive" those peons down the line like the bookkeeper and/or accountant even if they don't collect. The problem is it is not the law and the law is written quite broadly and there are no guarantees if the state gets all pissy. Nothing you do will change the situation in the past. If you want concrete steps, give your boss the link I provided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">