• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find out if company has filed for bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pasdetrois

What is the name of your state? VA

My client has always been late paying me, but now is saying he has to get the bank's permission to pay me and has asked for more time. A former employee told me that the company is in severe financial distress and that he himself just forced them to pay his 401k. When I mentioned lawsuits the former employee said he felt the company was "pretty judgment proof." I did not think to ask him why. How do I find out whether a company has filed for bankruptcy, Chapter 11 or other protection? Is there a way to do this without paying someone like D&B? Would a state list this somewhere, like in a court? I am not sure where this company is registered, although its corporate office is in VA.

thanks

Ladynred

Check with the bankruptcy court in the district where the business is based. Bankruptcies are public record, if they've filed, you can get a copy of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">