• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loyalty award owners as creditors in bankruptcy proceedings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Intern9014

This is a simple question: Are consumers who have loyalty points or awards in the line of creditors to receive something in bankruptcy proceedings?

Intern9014

Ok, then you find a simple answer.

This forum is for US LAW ONLY.
I am asking for US law in regards to when a business with a loyalty program goes bankrupt, does a customer with unredeemed loyalty awards have a claim in bankruptcy court? Are they in the line of creditors?

Is there case law, secondary sources, or statutes that discuss this?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am asking for US law in regards to when a business with a loyalty program goes bankrupt, does a customer with unredeemed loyalty awards have a claim in bankruptcy court? Are they in the line of creditors?

Is there case law, secondary sources, or statutes that discuss this?
We're not doing homework or research to satisfy your personal curiosity. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your loyalty program likely includes wording to the effect of "Loyalty points have no cash value."

Review your program details.

Intern9014

I appreciate the honesty, but I sort of thought that was the point of a free legal advice forum. I was hoping someone who had experience on this subject would know something germane about the topic and would at least be able to provide a yes, no, or maybe with a short explanation as to why.

CSO286

I appreciate the honesty, but I sort of thought that was the point of a free legal advice forum. I was hoping someone who had experience on this subject would know something germane about the topic and would at least be able to provide a yes, no, or maybe with a short explanation as to why.
Did you read the TOS?

FreeAdvice.com has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding information and "advice" free since 1995 with thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed articles, questions and answers in more than 100 categories in the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer and our Terms and Conditions of use which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

Intern9014

Your loyalty program likely includes wording to the effect of "Loyalty points have no cash value."

Review your program details.
Interesting. So bankruptcy would not cover it? What if, for example, there was a movie theater that gave you one free movie ticket for every five movies a customer saw, and the customer saw fifty movies and never redeemed the award? He would have twenty-five free tickets. If the going rate for tickets were $7.50, would that individual be entitled to $187.50?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interesting. So bankruptcy would not cover it? What if, for example, there was a movie theater that gave you one free movie ticket for every five movies a customer saw, and the customer saw fifty movies and never redeemed the award? He would have twenty-five free tickets. If the going rate for tickets were $7.50, would that individual be entitled to $187.50?
I think TheGeekess said it very well.

Antigone*

In the highly unlikely event that you could be considered a creditor, you'd be so far down at the bottom of the list that at the end of the day you'd only get heartburn.:cool:

There, now did that answer your question?

Intern9014

In the highly unlikely event that you could be considered a creditor, you'd be so far down at the bottom of the list that at the end of the day you'd only get heartburn.:cool:

There, now did that answer your question?
I appreciate the answer. What I am wondering is whether they can even be considered a creditor. However, you are right; it is unlikey.

Intern9014

I will give you a very good answer if you give me the reason why you are asking.
Thank you.

The reason I am asking this question is that I am an intern researching whether loyalty programs can be considered unclaimed property that is escheated to the state. In most states, they cannot. (Some states explicitly state that they cannot through their unclaimed property statutes.) This is mainly because of the derivative rights doctrine. However, if bankruptcy courts were to consider loyalty award owners as creditors and determine that they should receive monetary value equivalent to the worth of their loyalty award, the state could hold that money in unclaimed property. This would be fine under the doctrine. Unfortunately, my research has lead to dead ends; thus, I am making inquiries to see if anyone has any experience or knowledge on the subject.

tranquility

Thank you.

The reason I am asking this question is that I am an intern researching whether loyalty programs can be considered unclaimed property that is escheated to the state. In most states, they cannot. (Some states explicitly state that they cannot through their unclaimed property statutes.) This is mainly because of the derivative rights doctrine. However, if bankruptcy courts were to consider loyalty award owners as creditors and determine that they should receive monetary value equivalent to the worth of their loyalty award, the state could hold that money in unclaimed property. This would be fine under the doctrine. Unfortunately, my research has lead to dead ends; thus, I am making inquiries to see if anyone has any experience or knowledge on the subject.
Ah, not homework. Well, most of the real cases have to do with frequent flyer miles and airline bankruptcy. The Supremes weighed in at American Airlines v. Wolens (93-1286), 513 U.S. 219 (1995). There, AA tried to change the old flyer miles to new ones with different terms and conditions in bankruptcy. (Obviously, to have a better business model on the miles.) The court said the rights were contractual and suing on them were not prohibited by the Airline Deregulation Act. However, if you look to the news of the time you find that because of the decision, many airlines (And, I suppose other companies as well.) changed their terms in the way Zigner mentioned earlier--making them an almost illusory "promise" not rising to a contract.

Intern9014

Ah, not homework. Well, most of the real cases have to do with frequent flyer miles and airline bankruptcy. The Supremes weighed in at American Airlines v. Wolens (93-1286), 513 U.S. 219 (1995). There, AA tried to change the old flyer miles to new ones with different terms and conditions in bankruptcy. (Obviously, to have a better business model on the miles.) The court said the rights were contractual and suing on them were not prohibited by the Airline Deregulation Act. However, if you look to the news of the time you find that because of the decision, many airlines (And, I suppose other companies as well.) changed their terms in the way Zigner mentioned earlier--making them an almost illusory "promise" not rising to a contract.
Thanks!

However, if I am not mistaken, airlines have different bankruptcy rules (guided by the FAA) than a retailer or other entities that offer loyalty programs. Thus, I think their frequent-flyer miles are protected, but I do not know whether, for instance, a customer who had unredeemed reward points in a grocery store could be considered in the line of creditors. I could be wrong though.

Also, that is a good point raised by you and Zigner about how companies changed their wording to avoid contract obligations. That alone could be the end of the issue.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">