• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 No compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

businesshelpct

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I did 1099 work for a company in NY. I signed a no compete agreement with them before they would make payments to me. Should not have but i assumed when i was only a contractor for them( i orginally intended to be an employee) the no compete was not valid i have stopped doing work for them. My business primarily operates outside of what they would consider their sales territory. I often get leads to go into the very outside areas of their territory. I recently went to a meeting and gave a customer a quote(completely unrelated to their existing customer base) 3 days later i get an email from the owner of the former business associate saying i am in breach of contract. I received no special training from them. I am not using any information about their company to obtain any advantage. My understanding of the contract was that i would not use the customer lists they provided me to go after their clients. Which i have not. This client was over 2 hours from their office and was referred to me by a Networking partner. Should i be concerned about this or are they just trying to play hard ball?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">