• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3rd Party Contracting Middle-man business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weezle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?AL
I am just curious if it is legal for me to start a business where I attract customers to purchase services which I do not provide but market, cutting lawns, pressure washing houses, then I pay someone else to conduct those services as if I was the customer. IE "Weezle's Do it All" (I have no equipment) Dave comes to me to have their lawn cut. I contact Mikes Lawn Service, I tell Mike I have a property that needs to be cut, and I charge Dave a markup of whatever Mike charges me. Dave thinks I own a lawn service and mike thinks I am just the average customer.

In that scenario would it be legal?

Dave may know I contract the work out but Mike would not. Is that Legal?

Mike may know I contract the work out but Dave would not. Is that Legal?

FlyingRon

It's legal, but you would have a hard time competing I would think with as simplistic a business as you are describing.

Now if you were to sell general landscaping services: tree trimming, lawn mowing, landscaping, patios and hardscaping, etc... and you chose to contract out any or all of the work to others, you'd have the essential of a contracting business.

Of course, note that home improvement/landscaping contractors often requires local licenses even if you are using licensed subs. Alabama statewide requires home improvement contractors to be licensed if they take on jobs over $10K (and $5K for swimming pool contractors).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">