• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Additional work outside of contract billable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VanessaX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'd like to know, in general, if a client requests additional work (say custom artwork) outside of the original contract, is it still billable?

The additional work was agreed upon that it would be additional cost (cost more) than the original contract. Can the client still be billed if they "absolutely, definitely, positively sure, had to have it and wanted it and agreed to it?"

Last edited:

quincy

I'd like to know, in general, if a client requests additional work (say custom artwork) outside of the original contract, is it still billable?

The additional work was agreed upon that it would be additional cost (cost more) than the original contract. Can the client still be billed if they "absolutely, definitely, positively sure, had to have it and wanted it and agreed to it?"
If an agreement is made between the parties that any additional work done will mean additional cost then, yes, the additional cost for the additional work is billable.

It is always best to have all agreements written and signed, though. That way the agreement is less likely to be remembered differently by the parties.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

In general (and specifically), it depends on the terms of the contract.

If you and the client agreed, then why is there a question?

LdiJ

In general (and specifically), it depends on the terms of the contract.

If you and the client agreed, then why is there a question?
Because the client just HAD to HAVE the additional artwork, but now doesn't want to pay for it.;)

quincy

Because the client just HAD to HAVE the additional artwork, but now doesn't want to pay for it.;)
I suspect the same.

If there is a dispute between VanessaX and the client over the amount VanessaX bills for the additional work and the dispute winds up in court, it will rest on VanessaX to convince the court that the client "absolutely, definitely, positively sure, had to have it and wanted" the additional work done and agreed (orally) to the extra amount being charged by VanessaX for the additional work.

It sure makes it a lot easier when all terms of an agreement, including any late additions to the agreement, are nicely written down and signed and dated by both parties.

LdiJ

I suspect the same.

If there is a dispute between VanessaX and the client over the amount VanessaX bills for the additional work and the dispute winds up in court, it will rest on VanessaX to convince the court that the client "absolutely, definitely, positively sure, had to have it and wanted" the additional work done and agreed (orally) to the extra amount being charged by VanessaX for the additional work.

It sure makes it a lot easier when all terms of an agreement, including any late additions to the agreement, are nicely written down and signed and dated by both parties.
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">