• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreement of Rules for a Competition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suttercain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Before I pay a lawyer again I thought I'd ask here first. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

I entered a creator's competition held by DC Comics. Ten competitors are selected and compete for a contract worth a minimum of $13,000.

The winner is selected by the a voting public via an online system.

When you submit your work for consideration you must agree to what they call the "Submission Agreement." There are rules pointed out in this agreement that the wannabe competitor must follow. My question has to do with the following two point:

f. "Submission" means the work submitted by You in connection with this Submission Agreement, including the title of the work, the art and script comprising the work and the concepts, plots, themes, storylines, characters (including names and images), environmental settings, devices, characterizations, logos, trademarks, designs and other elements to the extent included in the work.

3. If You have used or are currently using the Submission in any way, please list those uses in the appropriate space on the submission form ("Prior and Current Uses"). During the Review Period, You agree not to publish, post, distribute, display or otherwise use (or authorize any third party to publish, post, distribute, display or otherwise use) the Submission in any manner or media. For example, if the Submission is up on a MySpace page, You would need to remove the Submission from that page until You are otherwise permitted to use it pursuant to the terms of this Submission Agreement. The Review Period shall end on the earlier of the following: (a) 90 days after You submit the Submission or (b) if Zuda expressly rejects the Submission. In either instance, You shall be free to publish, post, distribute, display or otherwise use (and authorize any third party to publish, post, distribute, display or otherwise use) the Submission without any obligation to Zuda, and Zuda shall have no rights at all in or to the Submission.
I was advised before submitting my work that, as the agreement states, I must remove any and all related elements of the "submission" from any website, etc.

My question is this. The competition is currently ongoing and it has been revealed that the competitor in first place was actually promoting his work during the "review period" on numerous websites for over 4 months.

It appears to me this is a direct violation of stated terms. When I brought this to the attention of DC Comics and stated I believed this was wrong and served an unfair advantage for the competitor, I received no response. Any recourse?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">