• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I a spy? =)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninja330

Couple of months ago I've decided to open a business by purchasing a franchise. I've emailed several businesses, and met with one of the business' owner who I've informed that his business' franchise isn't the only one I'm considering to get more details about his business, the way they operate, etc. Few weeks later I've called that business' franchisee who's my friend's relative to ask some questions about the business. Specifically, I asked if products for business they import from abroad require license, and the name of the person and his phone number they use to arrange the transportation.

Would it mean that I've committed some sort of corporate espionage if I decide to purchase a franchise from a different business? What if I purchase a franchise from a different business but don't use the information I've gained from the franchisee?

Thank you for your time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Couple of months ago I've decided to open a business by purchasing a franchise. I've emailed several businesses, and met with one of the business' owner who I've informed that his business' franchise isn't the only one I'm considering to get more details about his business, the way they operate, etc. Few weeks later I've called that business' franchisee who's my friend's relative to ask some questions about the business. Specifically, I asked if products for business they import from abroad require license, and the name of the person and his phone number they use to arrange the transportation.

Would it mean that I've committed some sort of corporate espionage if I decide to purchase a franchise from a different business? What if I purchase a franchise from a different business but don't use the information I've gained from the franchisee?

Thank you for your time.
US law only

quincy

Thank you for your time.
The answer to your question based on the information you have provided, and regardless of country, is "no."

You are not considered a spy if you are exploring the operations of different franchises before settling on one. The businesses you meet with are not going to discuss with you or disclose to you any trade secrets during these meetings. Absent any non-disclosure agreement you sign during these meetings, you are free to use what you learn.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The answer to your question based on the information you have provided, and regardless of country, is "no."

You are not considered a spy if you are exploring the operations of different franchises before settling on one. The businesses you meet with are not going to discuss with you or disclose to you any trade secrets during these meetings. Absent any non-disclosure agreement you sign during these meetings, you are free to use what you learn.
I agree - and originally said substantially the same thing, but then changed my answer ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">