• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another client trying to screw me over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello. I had a court interpretation job for today. I went there and waited for an hour, and it turns out that the judge wants a certified interpreter. (well, the judge was ok with it until this a88hole from the other side started objecting)
I explicitly asked the attorney that hired me "do you need a certified interpreter?" and she said no, since non-certified is cheaper, she will go with that.
so I came back, and I just got a call from her that she wants to discuss payment and see if we can waive it, since "you didn't do anything"
are you kidding me? I woke up at 6, got there at 8:30, wasted an hour there, took me another hour to get home, so I lost about 5 hours. In addition, I lost potential business because my phone was ringing and I didn't pick up because I was at the court.

Can she not pay me?
Now I know what your next question is:"what does your contract say?" My contract did NOT have a cancellation clause. Well, originally it did, but I deleted it before sending it to her because I didn't want her to get "offended" by my "no cancellations" clause. dammit why do I have to be so nice?

Anyway, can she not pay me?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yesterday, you were asking for instructions on the appropriate way to dress. Today you're saying that you do this as a job. How could you not know how to dress if this is your line of work?

Yesterday, you were asking for instructions on the appropriate way to dress. Today you're saying that you do this as a job. How could you not know how to dress if this is your line of work?
interpreting is my line of work, I just have never interpreted for courts.

Proseguru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Can she not pay me?
Now I know what your next question is:"what does your contract say?" My contract did NOT have a cancellation clause. Well, originally it did, but I deleted it before sending it to her because I didn't want her to get "offended" by my "no cancellations" clause. dammit why do I have to be so nice?

Anyway, can she not pay me?
So you changed the contract ; did they sign off on your amended contract and provide you a copy?

If not, they'll just pull out their standard contract and say they lost yours.

So you changed the contract ; did they sign off on your amended contract and provide you a copy?

If not, they'll just pull out their standard contract and say they lost yours.

I changed my original contract and THEN sent it to her. The original contract had a "no cancellation" clause, but I deleted it and THEN sent it to her.
She has one and only one contract, which doesn't say anything about cancellations.

Last edited:

Zigner

This wasn't a cancellation. You were there per the terms of your contract. It seems to me they owe you for at least 3 hours and also for anything over 3 hours that you were at the court.

This wasn't a cancellation. You were there per the terms of your contract. It seems to me they owe you for at least 3 hours and also for anything over 3 hours that you were at the court.

I have tried to email her, but my response doesn't sound very professional or legal. can you guys write an explanation on why she has to pay so I can email her?

Zigner

I have tried to email her, but my response doesn't sound very professional or legal. can you guys write an explanation on why she has to pay so I can email her?
You don't need for it to sound "legal." Just say that you have fulfilled your part of the contract and you expect them to do the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">