• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asperger's Syndrome and Binding Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmdavis_2

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am 53, I have Asperger's Syndrome, a high functioning Autism, developmental Disability. Which hinders my ability to understand what is Unwritten. Such as Socal, and contracts as well due I do not understand legal matter well. I made a contract in 89' that I recently found out that there was fraud due to duress. It kept me from part of my mom's Million dollar estate at death. I did not realize the outcome from this until recently. Is there a way to get the time restraints removed and take care of this in civil court. Any advice would be helpful. Is this Contract Binding?

Litigation!

dmdavis_2 said:

I am 53, I have Asperger's Syndrome, a high functioning Autism, developmental Disability. Which hinders my ability to understand what is Unwritten. Such as Socal, and contracts as well due I do not understand legal matter well. I made a contract in 89' that I recently found out that there was fraud due to duress. It kept me from part of my mom's Million dollar estate at death. I did not realize the outcome from this until recently. Is there a way to get the time restraints removed and take care of this in civil court. Any advice would be helpful. Is this Contract Binding?

My response:

Did the court appoint a Guardian for you in 1989, or before?

IAAL

dmdavis_2 said:

So what is Asperger's? I don't believe anyone on this forum has ever heard of it before.

dmdavis_2

There is no law that if you are not under guardianship, that the understanding isnt there. I do not think they can put you under guardianship with just the understanding problem. I feel, because I can take care of most of my needs they would not of appointed a guardian. It's the social and understanding of outcomes that gets me

dmdavis_2

To Master Darcy, It's a rare High Functioning form of Autism, It hiders ones ability to understand the Unwritten laws of Socializing. Tip-toe walking, routines. Normal-High IQ, Patterns, Obsessions on Interest. The guy in Rainman had it.

Thanks for asking? Its much much to unheard of!

dmdavis_2

What about the Duress does that make it void? Is there a law that lets you not knowing about something due your disability make the time limit start over?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
dmdavis_2 said:
What about the Duress does that make it void? Is there a law that lets you not knowing about something due your disability make the time limit start over?
What was there that caused Duress? Fraud and duress are separate legal issues.
Also, do you really think your current doctor will be able to testify as to your state of mind 17 year ago?

dmdavis_2

The cause was about $500,000 of my share of mom's business. I had been in and out of the Psych Hospital during the time.

thanks for help

rmet4nzkx

Of Course we have heard about Asperger's here on these forums and Mr. Darcy knows this as well. In fact it is a common subject on these forums.

Unfortunately you have provided few facts.

Before I ask some questions let me say this, Prior to 1994 with it's first inclusion in the DSM-IV as a disorder of childhood, Asperger's was not an official Diagnosis and one that was thought to exist in children only and that they would grow out of it. That is/was a false assupmtion.

Asperger's diagnosed in anyone born before 1994, with certain psyachritiac diagnosis listed elsewhere, was more than likely properly diagnosed based on the available clinical criteria of the day and thus would be relevant in any subsequent medical-legal venue. The date of discovery is indeed very important, that is why we need more facts.

That being said please answer the following questions.

When did you receive the Diagnosis of Asperger's?

Who gave you the diagnosis of Asperger's?

What tests were performed to confirm the diagnosis?

Do you know your IQ Scores?

What are they? FSIQ? PIQ? VIQ?

What medications have you taken?

How did you react to these medications?

Haw many times have you been hospitalized?

Are/were you employed?

Are you on Social Security Disability or SSI?

Do you live independently?

Have you been married?

Have you been divorced?

Do you have any children?

Which of your parents is any have similar mental health issues?

Which of your siblings have any mental health issues?

Please explain this contract, by any chance was it a "special needs trust"?

Please understand that while $500,000 is a lot of money, uncontrolled access to that money may not be in your best interst, not last very long, so please answer the questions and I will try to give you some referals to assist you.

Please see this site http://www/AAAS.org

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">