• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued on bogus claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninja74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello,

I signed a licensing agreement with a company to do business under their mark in another state. Once my business was up and running they wanted me to pay a buy-in, higher royalty fees, and sign a contract that gave them 51% ownership of my business(I imagine this was to get around not being a legal franchise).

Once I found out one member was a convicted felon for embezzlement and that the mark was not even registered I decided to break the licensing agreement(per it's terms) and start a company under my own name. Almost immediately after doing so, they sued my corporation and my as an individual stating fraud, unfair competition, breech of contract, and 2 million in damages.

It's been almost a year since this began and it has really affected my businesses growth. They have been doing everything in their power to put me out of business. I have suffered so much stress which isn't good for someone in my current health. I have racked up a healthy bill with the legal team I have and they will no longer represent me do to lack of payment.

I feel helpless and all because I wanted to try and created a better life for myself. I am also scared they could go after my personal assets since I am listed as an individual as well as my corporation. Do you think I should file a counter claim? Is it possible to find an attorney to take my case on contingency Any help is appreciated.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally, it is not advisable to bite off more than you can chew, for obvious reasons. Lawyers generally only take guaranteed winners on contingency. Perhaps you could find one who isn't busy and would accept a percentage of the business.

justalayman

the attorney that you did have; did s/he give you any information as to your chances of losing or prevailing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">