• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boots stolen from gym - negligence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LimJahey

Hello,
First of all I want to thank whomever is taking the time to read this, your time is appreciated.
Not sure if this is the right section, and I am from Canada so I understand the law is applied differently, but I would like to hear what the general consensus is on this.

My gym forces its members to place their boots on trays located immediately infront of the entrance. (I have never gone to a gym which forces this upon members in the past) There are signs mentioning to do so, and also that "they are not responsible for lost or stolen items". The reception is located next to this area, where the workers sign people in. My boots were stolen last night, and when asked if they could review security footage, they said their cameras were not plugged in.
For a gym to require this from its members (only so they can avoid cleaning the floor), shouldn't they provide adequate security measures? Does this constitute negligence?
I would be taking this to my local small claims court.
Any input is appreciated,
Thank you.

Just Blue

Hello,
First of all I want to thank whomever is taking the time to read this, your time is appreciated.
Not sure if this is the right section, and I am from Canada so I understand the law is applied differently, but I would like to hear what the general consensus is on this.

My gym forces its members to place their boots on trays located immediately infront of the entrance. (I have never gone to a gym which forces this upon members in the past) There are signs mentioning to do so, and also that "they are not responsible for lost or stolen items". The reception is located next to this area, where the workers sign people in. My boots were stolen last night, and when asked if they could review security footage, they said their cameras were not plugged in.
For a gym to require this from its members (only so they can avoid cleaning the floor), shouldn't they provide adequate security measures? Does this constitute negligence?
I would be taking this to my local small claims court.
Any input is appreciated,
Thank you.
U.S. Law Only

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't mean this rudely - it's just an explanation.

For some reason there seems to be an assumption that because the US and Canada are two very large nations that share a continent, a language (more or less) and a border, that we also share a set of laws. This is not correct. Even though based on (again) more or less the same principles, in some areas US and Canadian laws are VERY different. In addition, there's also the fact that in the US, the law can differ even between states - the law in Massachusetts and the law in Iowa is not necessarily the same.

So there really isn't any way for a US board to answer a question about Canadian law.

Just my observation; it seems to be the language that leads people to think our laws will match up. Mexico shares this continent with us, too, but no one assumes that Mexican law will be the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">