• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twocorfivetwent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I sold a business in North Carolina and then moved to Washington State (the reason why I needed to sell my business). The people who took over my business were suppose to, by the contract they made up and signed, take over all accounts related to the business. I made all accounts aware that there were new owners taking over the business and I made these accounts, and the new owners, aware of how to reach each other. I found out, after about four months, that two of the accounts, which were taking monthly debits out of my business checking account, had not been transferred over to the new business owners' name (these two accounts were accounts relating to the credit card processing machine that I had in the business). I found out afterwards that the new owners went out and started up another credit card processing account with another company and now refuses to transfer the accounts to their name and I am being pursued by these two companies for early termination fees, of about $1500. I also incrued about $700 in NSF fees from my business checking account because these companies continued to withdraw their monthly fees until the account was closed by the bank. Since the new owners were suppose to take over all accounts, and didn't, can I sue them for breach of contract? Can I also sue them for the NSF fees that my bank charged me (as well as the monthly fees during this period that the new owners were suppose to have paid during this time)? Do I make a small claims case? Do I have to file in North Carolina where the contract was made up or can I file in Washington State where I now live?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">