• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denzelle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in the State of NJ

I am an independent contractor under written contract with a transportation and logistics company located in Pennsylvania. The term of the contract clearly states that I can accept or refuse any job(s). I refuse a job from the contractor, and the contractor immediately threatens termination of my services. I do beleive this action by the contractor violates the contractor relationship, thus effecting an employer-employee relationship. Also, the binding contract states, that either party who wishes to terminate the contract must do so in writing 10 days by U.Smail, or by fax.

I see two breaches of the contrat here; first, the employer attempting to force his will for me to accept a job, then threatens termination for refusal to comply. Second, no 10 day advance notification given to terminate contract. My question is, what legal remedies I can pursue for these breaches of the contract?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does the contract REQUIRE him to give you any business?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in the State of NJ

I am an independent contractor under written contract with a transportation and logistics company located in Pennsylvania. The term of the contract clearly states that I can accept or refuse any job(s). I refuse a job from the contractor, and the contractor immediately threatens termination of my services. I do beleive this action by the contractor violates the contractor relationship, thus effecting an employer-employee relationship. Also, the binding contract states, that either party who wishes to terminate the contract must do so in writing 10 days by U.Smail, or by fax.

I see two breaches of the contrat here; first, the employer attempting to force his will for me to accept a job, then threatens termination for refusal to comply. Second, no 10 day advance notification given to terminate contract. My question is, what legal remedies I can pursue for these breaches of the contract?

denzelle

The contract does not state that the contractor has to supply job(s), but if contractor does, I have the right to refuse any job, which does not subject me to violation of contract for services not performed. The question here is, that once I refuse to accept a job, and the contractor threatens immediate termination for refusal to comply, then the contract has been breached, because the contractor is dictating what I must do, thus effecting an employer-employee relationship. Once a contractor dictates how the sub contractor will perform services, then the sub-contractor-contractor relationship becomes that of an employer-employee relationship, thus breaching the contract. I would like to know what legal recourse I can take against this breach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">