• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Lease Contract or Termination of contract by agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nyc2003ny

What is the name of your state? New York

I signed a lease contract for 6 month with a parter. The landlord wanted his son to replace my place at the end of the 5th month of lease (and his son to run the business with my partner), and therefore I agreed and left. Now, the landlord refuses to give my security deposit in the amount of $750.00 back. There are no damages on premise.
Moreover, the landlord refuses to pay for the cost of the inventory that his son and my partner are using right now.

I need to know on which grounds I can sue him, what proof I need, and to which court I need to go.
I'll highly apprecite somebody advising me on that issue. Thanks.

T

TracyMT

Civil/small claims' court. Call your local courthouse and ask. You'll need a copy of your lease (showing you paid your deposit and that it's fully refundable) and a written statement by you of everything you just posted. A signed/notarized statement from your partner would help, too. The grounds are non-payment of your deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">